[Tugindia] Solutions

Radhakrishnan CV cvr at river-valley.org
Tue Mar 23 06:55:28 CET 2010

On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 10:05 AM, S. venkataraman <svenkat at ignou.ac.in> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 9:00 AM, Kev <sooltaal at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Thanks.  I'll give it another try. I just couldn't compile the source
>> initially, but I think I have a work around.

[...]

> There is problem compiling tugindia tutorials because it uses sabon font
> which doesn't seem available freely.  As far as I can remember, this was
> the only problem. Once you fix this, it seemed to compile alright.

Instead of sabon.sty which uses the proprietary sabon font, people can
make use of txfonts, pxfonts or TeX-Gyre fonts, etc.  Even if sabon
package loading line is commented out, the document compiles fine.
So, this is not a big deal.

> By the way, I am in a quandry.  Everybody seems to top post today. For
> most of the softwares, this seems to be be default.  Is it OK to top post
> now?

I am not a social policeman to advise you. But I would sincerely
request not to start the practice of top-posting which is like
answering before the question.  For instance, how should I answer your
two queries above if I had adopted top-posting.  In a mailing list,
mails are like conversations and you happen to ask several questions
in a row which might need separate answers for each question.  Top
posting obviously prevents this thereby jeopardizing effective
communication.  Effective communication is the prime objective of any
conversation in a mailing list.  As such, we need not adapt anything
that goes against the interests of easy communication just because
many people follow it.  Not many people in the world use TeX and
friends which does not mean that TeX is inferior to other systems nor
should we change to systems used by the majority.

Best regards

PS: Please try to trim the quoted mail.  The irrelevant portions,
mastheads, signatures, etc can be trimmed so that quoted mail looks
more communicative.