[Tugindia] TeX live CDROM/DVD

S. venkataraman svenkat at ignou.ac.in
Thu Jan 21 06:11:46 CET 2010

On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 8:21 AM, Kannan Moudgalya <kannan at iitb.ac.in> wrote:

> Dr. Parthasarathy S wrote:
>
>> Greetings. How can I get a copy of : TeX live CDROM/DVD ?
>>

> We sent a few LaTeX DVDs free of cost to Partha.  This DVD included the
> following files
>
> -rwxrwxrwx@    1 kannan  staff  1284129786 Nov  9 10:38 MacTeX.mpkg.zip
> -rwxrwxrwx@    1 kannan  staff  1276192736 Nov  9 10:39
> texlive2008-20080822.iso.lzma
>
> and a FULL MiKTeX and some spoken tutorials.  As Partha still wants the TeX
> live, I assume that the DVD that we created does not have all the
> information.
>
> Can someone tell me what all a TeX live distribution should have?  We can
> create it and send to TeX enthusiasts in the country.
>
> Funding for this activity is through a grant for promoting open source
> software by the National Mission on Education through ICT, MHRD.
>
> Kannan

You sem to have sent the compressed iso file of texlive2008.  This has to be
uncompressed and burnt to a DVD.   Of course, now, the latest version,
texlive2009 is
available from http://tug.org/texlive/. The compressed image can be
downloaded, uncompressed, burnt on a DVD and sent.  The compression format
is not a common format, but the instructions at the above site are clear
enough.
As there is still enough space left in the DVD
one could add(some of the) following:
1) Tutorials by TUG india.
2) Bookson tex/latex: Tex by topic and Tex for the impatient.
Earlier when texlive was made available from the Sarovar server,
these were there, but no longer available.
3) Supporting packages like lyx, auctex,  jabref(for bibliography), Ipe(for
drawing).
See http://tclab.kaist.ac.kr/ipe/ for the IPE package. Unfortunately,
  the latest version of ipe is available only in source form for linux and
not everybody has the expertise to compile from the source.  IPE is an
excellent
package for drawing.
4) Since this is a part of National Mission on Education, packages like
Dr.Geo and kig are worthy of inclusion.  Another interesting package is
geogebra which is based on Java and hence works on both linux and windows.
It is useful for high school/higher secondary students.  A plus point is it
exports the output of plots and drawings in latex friendly formats
like Pstricks and tikz.
S. Venkataraman