[Tugindia] Malayalam Latex

V. Sasi Kumar sasi.keraladevelopment at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 18:47:50 CEST 2009

On Thu, 2009-06-04 at 20:13 +0530, Sebastian Vattamattam wrote:
> I wonder if there is Malayalam LaTex. If there is I would like to learn. Pls help me.

You can create Malayalam documents using LaTeX or Omega. In the former,
you type Malayalam using English alphabets (as in Manglish, for example)
while in the latter you can directly type in Malayalam Unicode. In
either case, you need to install a package for enabling Malayalam. The
package is malayalam-0.96 for LaTeX and malayalam-1.0.2 for Omega. The
packages are available at http://sarovar.org/projects/malayalam/.

When using LaTeX Malayalam, you type the text in Manglish, with a
special tag <m> at the beginning of the Malayalam text and </m> at the
end. This file is otherwise just like any LaTeX file, but the extension
should normally be .mm. You then run this through a preprocessor called
'mal', which gives you the .tex file which you can compile using the
latex or pdflatex command.

When using Omega Malayalam, you have to add a package in the preamble
with the command \usepackage{omal}. Here you need to specify the
language in the text, with the command \mal before typing in Malayalam
and with the command \eng when you want to switch to English. You can
save this file as a .tex file and compile using the command lambda.
Remember, this command is like latex and will accept on .ps image files.

Details of how to use these are available with the .tar.gz files of the
packages that you can download from sarovar.

Happy Malayalam TeXing
--
Dr. V. Sasi Kumar
Please visit http://keralachinthakal.blogspot.com