[Tugindia] Query on printing with 'screens'

Derek Cordeiro cordeiroderek at gmail.com
Tue Nov 18 15:50:06 CET 2008

On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 11:43 AM, Nina Mazumdar <nina.mazumdar at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 10:29 AM, Frederick Noronha [फ़रेदरिक नोरोनया]
> <fred at bytesforall.org> wrote:
>> Hi all:
>>
>> I'm a Lyx user in Goa, and hope you won't mind me intruding.
>>
>> Every time I go in for a book, to be printed via offset, my printer
>> has a problem. He takes the PDF file and attempts to do crazy things
>> like importing it into Windows/Corel Draw, etc.
>>
>> He says the photos won't print because they don't have a screen.
>
> True, TeX does not add a screen to images as some of the proprietary
> systems like Quark, et al do.  But that is not an excuse for the

What extra information does an image with a "screen" have? Is it
half-toning information or something specific to the printer?
Will a higher resolution image or pdf with less compression help?

Regards,
Derek

P.S. I don't see any visible differences in the images in pdfs
generated by Quark or distiller when compared to pdflatex, which is
why I wish to clarify my doubts.