[Tugindia] Query on printing with 'screens'

Nina Mazumdar nina.mazumdar at gmail.com
Mon Nov 17 07:13:33 CET 2008

On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 10:29 AM, Frederick Noronha [फ़रेदरिक नोरोनया]
<fred at bytesforall.org> wrote:
> Hi all:
>
> I'm a Lyx user in Goa, and hope you won't mind me intruding.
>
> Every time I go in for a book, to be printed via offset, my printer
> has a problem. He takes the PDF file and attempts to do crazy things
> like importing it into Windows/Corel Draw, etc.
>
> He says the photos won't print because they don't have a screen.

True, TeX does not add a screen to images as some of the proprietary
systems like Quark, et al do.  But that is not an excuse for the
inability of your print house to print the document.  He can very well
use the default screen which is what he should have done in the first
place.  Better consider the option of changing the printer to a more
knowledgeable one.  If not, you will have to hear a lot undeservedly
about the abilities of free software.  You can't prove the point to
your amateurish printer that the grandiose color catalogue of 'Ikea'
was typeset with pdfTeX and there were no problems of printing by its
printer (it was reported in the pdfTeX list).

Happy TeXing and best regards
--
Nina