[Tugindia] Indexing Sanskrit words with diacritical marks

Dr C. K. Raju dr_c_k_raju at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 23 09:36:28 CET 2008

Chith Puram wrote:

> I have English text with Sanskrit names in italics and would like to index
> the Sanskrit words.
> Those familiar with Devanagari script know that Bana (with a bar over a)
> should follow Bali. It does not as can be seen (really?) in the following.
>
> How can I achieve this? To those who have written such text in English,
> should I do that as the book is in English?
>
> A second question that may be related to this is the following.
>
> This index excerpt shown is according to the English alphabet. Can it be
> modified to follow Sanskrit alphabet?

Please see the syntax of the index command. It has key at entry, where key determines the position and entry the appearance in the index.

It is usually a good idea to check the syntax before asking questions on the list.

So you should redefine your macros accordingly, depending upon how you want each entry sorted. You could even have an index with Sanskrit entires sorted on the Sanskrit alphabet if you wished

For an example of an index which has Sanskrit words with diacritical marks, you could see the index of my book Cultural Foundations of Mathematics, Pearson Longman, 2007.

C. K. Raju