[Tugindia] formula and calculations

Dr C. K. Raju dr_c_k_raju at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 7 16:49:41 CET 2008

> Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2008 10:26:40 +0530> From: kapil at imsc.res.in> Subject: Re: [Tugindia] formula and calculations> > > On Sat, 06 Dec 2008, Dr C. K. Raju wrote:> > On Thu, 4 Dec 2008, Ajay Shah wrote:> > > No, what Krishnan's fantasising about is mathematics software that> > > uses TeX math notation. :-)> > > > What fantasy? It is routine to carry out long calculations in Mathematica or Maxima > > and then produce tex output from that. To edit, edit the original formulae and again > > produce tex output.> > You have not understood Ajay Shah's remark.> > Neither Mathematica or Maxima allows you to give input in the form of> TeX.
... > I think it is quite hard to achieve the original fantasy
>For example, in the above expression, it is> only from the context that I know that \pi is not a projection map.
What you are talking about (something which not only interprets TeX input,
but understands its mathematical significance _from the context_ is not hard
but impossible at the present moment. (Please add the context-dependent
interpretation of both notions of /pi on my [history and] philosophy of mathematics!)

Therefore, since the question was raised on the tugindia list,
I naturally interpreted the question as pertaining to something much
simpler: a desire to enter a formula with parameters once and then reuse it
for different values of the parameters. (That was the example specified.)
This can be achieved by embedding Maxima code within a TeX file using battex.

Best,

C. K. Raju