[Tugindia] formula and calculations

Kapil Hari Paranjape kapil at imsc.res.in
Sat Dec 6 05:56:40 CET 2008

Hello,

On Sat, 06 Dec 2008, Dr C. K. Raju wrote:
> On Thu, 4 Dec 2008, Ajay Shah wrote:
> > No, what Krishnan's fantasising about is mathematics software that
> > uses TeX math notation. :-)
>
> What fantasy? It is routine to carry out long calculations in Mathematica or Maxima
> and then produce tex output from that. To edit, edit the original formulae and again
> produce tex output.

You have not understood Ajay Shah's remark.

Neither Mathematica or Maxima allows you to give input in the form of
TeX. I think the example provided was something like
  \int_0^{\pi} \cos(x) dx
being input to the mathematical software package and the output being
   0

What you are talking about is the output of the result of calculations
being given in a format that is acceptable input for TeX. This is done
by a number of mathematical packages, for example GPari.

I think it is quite hard to achieve the original fantasy as TeX is
not a language to express mathematics but a language to express
mathematical typography. For example, in the above expression, it is
only from the context that I know that \pi is not a projection map.

Regards,

Kapil.