[Tugindia] beginer

Basaprabhu S Halakarnimath basaprabhu97 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 29 06:10:31 CET 2006

HI,
I am new user of LaTeX.
I have created tex document like this

*file name is test.tex*
\documentclass{article}
\begin{document}
Test file
\end{document}

to create this above file i have used editor caled *"TexMaker"*.
when i run (i.e. #tex test.tex)  this file i am getting message some thing
like this in log file

*************** LOG FILE *********************
This is Tex, Version 3.14159 (Web2C 7.3.1) (format=tex 2003.2.18) 29NOV 2006
10:08
**test.tex
(test.tex
! Undefined control sequence
1.1 \documentclass
                            {article}
?
 ! Undefined control sequence
1.2 \begin
          {document}
?
[1])
Output written on test.dvi (1 page, 276 bytes)

After this I  view the test.dvi file by giving the command like this
#xdvi test.dvi
I was able to see all the commands that what we written in our input file (
i.e. test.tex).

can you explain me what type of output file we must get.
how to work with Tex.

--
With Regards,
Basaprabhu S. H.,