[Tugindia] Devanagari Script and LaTeX

Dr C. K. Raju dr_c_k_raju at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 3 03:41:13 CET 2006

>From: Anupam Tyagi <Anupam.Tyagi at haim.in>
>To: tugindia at tug.org
>Subject: Re: [Tugindia] Devanagari Script and LaTeX
>Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 17:10:38 +0000 (UTC)
>
>Dr C. K. Raju <dr_c_k_raju at ...> writes:
>
> > For these reasons, I chose the devnag package, and am quite satisfied
>with
> > it.
>
>May I request you to please share an example, perhaps from your own work.

I attach a jpeg file.

>Being able to communicate in Hindi, and other Indian languages over the
>internet
>is still an issue. As an economist, I can say that there is money to be
>made in
>this---because where there is a latent demand, there is a business model.
>There
>has been a lot of discussion about "Money at the bottom of the pyramid".
>What is
>the process to incorporate indian language fonts into the internet? I
>should be
>able to find firms and people who may be willing to spend time, money and
>effort
>for this.

There are two issues here. If you are thinking of publishing on the
Internet, Unicode is without doubt prefereable. My earlier remarks related
to book publishing.

May I point out that you are waking up to the money-making opportunity too
late? The government and various private companies have been in the game for
the last 18 years or so (roughly six generations, in this field).

Also, as an economist you no doubt know that in a market economy what
matters is marketing not so much the product or its quality. Only big
companies have the clout to market software, the others just give it away
for free or as shareware. (As an example, Internet explorer crashed while
uploading the photo.)

All best,

CKR