[Tugindia] Puzzled with floatflt

Ajay Narottam Shah ajayshah at mayin.org
Sat May 20 10:04:02 CEST 2006

On Sat, May 20, 2006 at 08:23:54AM +0530, Ajay Narottam Shah wrote:
> I tried to write the simplest possible demonstration of utilising
> floatflt to wrap text around figures and tables. The figures work
> fine, but the table is silently ignored. (There is no error
> message). Could someone suggest what I'm doing wrong?

Oops, I realised that attachments are being deleted. Okay, here's the
LaTeX file. To run it, you need a file "apicture.pdf" which is any
figure object.

\documentclass[12pt,a4paper]{article}
\usepackage{graphicx}
\usepackage{floatflt}

\begin{document}

This is some text. This is some text. This is some text. This is some
text.  This is some text. This is some text. This is some text. This
is some text.  This is some text. This is some text. This is some
text. This is some text.  This is some text. This is some text. This
is some text. This is some text.  This is some text. This is some
text. This is some text. This is some text.

Let's try for the next para.

\begin{floatingfigure}{0.5\textwidth}
  \includegraphics[width=0.4\textwidth]{apicture.pdf}
  \caption{Quarterly GDP growth}
\end{floatingfigure}

This is some text. This is some text. This is some text. This is some
text.  This is some text. This is some text. This is some text. This
is some text.  This is some text. This is some text. This is some
text. This is some text.  This is some text. This is some text. This
is some text. This is some text.  This is some text. This is some
text. This is some text. This is some text.

Let's see what happens when a figure is placed with a particularly
short paragraph.

\begin{floatingfigure}{0.5\textwidth}
  \includegraphics[width=0.4\textwidth]{apicture.pdf}
  \caption{Quarterly GDP growth}
\end{floatingfigure}

This is some text. This is some text. This is some text. This is some
text.  This is some text. This is some text. This is some text.

This is some text. This is some text. This is some text. This is some
text.  This is some text. This is some text. This is some text. This
is some text.  This is some text. This is some text. This is some
text. This is some text.  This is some text. This is some text. This
is some text. This is some text.  This is some text. This is some
text. This is some text. This is some text.

Okay, now let's do a table.

\begin{floatingtable}{
    \begin{tabular}{lrr}
      \hline
      Value & 1992-93 & 2002-03 \\
      \hline
      Blah & x & y \\
      Blah & x & y \\
      Blah & x & y \\
      \hline
    \end{tabular}}
  \caption{A table}
\end{floatingtable}

This is some text. This is some text. This is some text. This is some
text.  This is some text. This is some text. This is some text. This
is some text.  This is some text. This is some text. This is some
text. This is some text.  This is some text. This is some text. This
is some text. This is some text.  This is some text. This is some
text. This is some text. This is some text.

\end{document}