[Tugindia] Acronym and Suffix

S. venkataraman svenkat at ignou.ac.in
Thu May 18 07:03:36 CEST 2006

-----Original Message-----
From:	tugindia-bounces at tug.org on behalf of rijo
Sent:	Wed 5/17/2006 11:53 AM
To:	TUGIndia Mailing List
Subject:	[Tugindia] Acronym and Suffix
Hi all,
 I was using acronym package. Because it required suffix package I downloaded it and added. However while compiling (pdflatex) it gives me a message
"! Package suffix Error: This package requires eTeX version 2". When I checked the suffix documentation I found the following.

"All of the files (except perpage.sty, for historical reasons) need
eTeX 2 as the LaTeX engine.  Newer distributions already are
eTeX-based; with older distributions you might need to use the
`elatex' command."
It is obvious that the TeXLive (fpTeX) that I am using is different from the eTeX. Can anyone advise me as to what is this eTeX. Is it a superior tex distribution. If so what is it that I should do to change to that.
I should be able to use this acronym package for the PhD thesis I am preparing. Any help would be appreciated.
Yours Sincerely,
Rijo John.
H1i!
E-tex is an enhanced version of tex created by Karl Berry and others.
The default engine in Miktex is already e-tex. Look at the list
executable in the bin directory of fp-tex. It should be available
there.
It is available in tetex version 2 I have on Fedora Core 3, and
must be available in fp-tex too. This
is the output I get when I type `etex --version' in the commandline.

e-TeX (Web2C 7.4.5) 3.14159-2.1
kpathsea version 3.4.5
Copyright (C) 1997-2003 The NTS Team.
Kpathsea is copyright (C) 1997-2003 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
There is NO warranty.  Redistribution of this software is
covered by the terms of both the e-TeX copyright and
the GNU General Public License.
For more information about these matters, see the files
named COPYING and the e-TeX source.
Primary author of e-TeX: The NTS Team.
Kpathsea written by Karl Berry and others.

Try the same command from command line.
Incidentally, elatex command also should
be available.  You probably need that if you
are using latex.
Best,
S. Venkataraman