[Tugindia] some more table formatting issues

Alexander Nervedi alexnerdy at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 17 23:44:53 CET 2006

Hello list members.

I have some messy tables to handle - too much text, too many rows, and too
many columns. I was wondering if there is a way to "shrink" the table?

I know that one can use \scalebox{magnification}{text} to do what I want;
however, this does not seem to work with a table. The following script does
not compile.

\scalebox{magnification}{
\begin{tabular}

\end{tabular}
}

I tried an alternative which was to down size the table using \scriptsize,
but that too failed, it only changed the size for a cell, instead of the
entire table. I had used

\begin{tabular}
\scriptsize
% table contents below

\end{tabular}

and the first row, first column had its size changed, the rest remained the
same. I guess I could use longtable to make the table presentable across
pages, but it is an appendix, table so I'd really like to know if the only
alternative for shrinking available to me is to specify \scriptsize in each
cell ?

any advice would be appreciated.

Alnerdy