[Tugindia] specifying conditional statements

Alexander Nervedi alexnerdy at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 3 19:49:01 CEST 2006

Hi!

I just realized that I'd be making the same text a part of my dissertation
as well as a part of seperate standalone chapters that I'd like to send out
for review. So I thought this could be implemented by keep the text with
latex commands in a file called test.txt.tex.  I could call this from
another tex file say test.p.tex which would have the paper abstract and
\include the test.txt.tex file and give me the compiled paper. I'd also have
a third file called des.toc.tex which calls each of my chapters with, for
example, \include{test.txt.tex}

So far so good this works well. The only problem is that when compile the
document des.toc.tex it leaves the page blank after I declare a chapter and
start the contents of the paper test.txt.tex from the next page. I can get
around this by having my chapter declaration in the test.txt.tex file and
not the des.toc.tex file. The latter simply becomes a set of \include{}
statements.

However this option means that when I compile the paper test.p.tex I have a
lame line giving the chapter name which doesn't work in the paper mode. I
was wondering if there is a way I can pass a variable across files so that I
could let the processor known the sequence in which it is opertating the
file.

Thus if i am compiling for the dissertation I could have a variable flag set
to 1 so that when each chapter is processed the process would processor
would check if flag == 1 and then print the chapter names. In case I am
compiling the paper I could set the flag to 0 and then the processor
wouldn't process the chapter command.

I was wondering what the best was is to imple ment this.

Alex.