[Tugindia] use of % symbol at end of lines

Duvvuri Venu Gopal venugopal_duvvuri at rediffmail.com
Thu Oct 20 06:27:17 CEST 2005

On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 Sreejith Pulloor wrote :
>Dear All,
>
>I would like to know whats the use of % symbol at the end of a line
>
>for example (from mathmode.pdf by Herber Vo\ss) page 15  section 3.2.1
>
>1 \ makeatletter 2
>\ newcommand {\ be }{%   ---------> whts the use of this %
>3 \ begingroup
>4 % \ setlength {\ arraycolsep }{2 pt}
>5 \ eqnarray % ---------> whts the use of this %
>6 \ @ifstar {\ nonumber }{}%  ----------> here also  whts the use of this %
>7 }
>8 \ newcommand {\ ee }{\ endeqnarray \ endgroup }
>9 \ makeatother
>

>i really dont know why we need to put % mark sometimes on the end of
>certain lines
>could some one please explain
>thanks
>sreejith

Somewhere it was already written. But where I forget. Why a %
is written at the end of line (particularly definitions or
new commands or renewcommands) is to indicate to
TeX that the statement is not complete. Otherwise
sometimes it may think the statement is complete and
some unexpected results occur!

D. Venu Gopal