[Tugindia] Transparent image

CV Radhakrishnan cvr at river-valley.com
Wed Oct 5 09:14:28 CEST 2005

On Tue, October 4, 2005 7:00 pm, Kapil Hari Paranjape said:
> Friends,
>
> I have a graphics PNG image with transparency information which I would
> like to include in a TeX file in a way that when converting to PDF the
> background gets the color same as \pagecolor using the color style file.
> I tried including the graphics with the graphics package but that
> didn't work---it produces a black background.

You need a newer version of pdfTeX, preferably 1.3.0 or greater. Here are
new features available:

- New primitives:
  - Inclusion of pngs has been greatly improved: It now does
    - alpha channel and transparency (only if %!PDF >=1.4)
    - 16-bit colour (only if %!PDF >=1.5); this must be enabled by setting
      \pdfimagehicolor to 1.
    - gamma correction; this must be enabled by setting \pdfimageapplygamma
      to 1. The device gamma is taken from \pdfgamma. If no embedded value
      can be found in the png image, then the value of \pdfimagegamma is
      used instead.
    - fast direct embedding of png streams, if their structure allows this;
      the automatic fall-back is to decompress and re-compress as before.

You might take a look at:

  http://www.tug.org/applications/pdftex/NEWS

for more information on the latest version of pdfTeX.  You might grab the
newer version from:

  http://sarovar.org/projects/pdftex