[Tugindia] Embedding reference within the text

Arun Kejariwal arun_kejariwal at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 24 03:03:30 CET 2005

Hi,
    I am trying to build a list of references. Is it possible that when I
say "\cite{lamport}" latex puts the reference itself where I invoke the
"\cite" command, instead of putting (say) "[2]" and the actual reference at
the end of the document.

   Right now, what I have to do is to first generate the "\bibtem" format
from a .bib file by running bibtex and then copy-paste the "\bibitem" format
from the .bbl file into the .tex file to embed the reference. But this is
very time consuming.

What I have roughly looks like

\begin{document}
ABCD
\begin{thebibliography}{9}
	\bibitem{lamport94}
	  Leslie Lamport,
	  \emph{\LaTeX: A Document Preparation System}.
	  Addison Wesley, Massachusetts,
	  2nd Edition,
	  1994.
\end{thebibliography}
FGHI
\end{document}

What I am looking for

\begin{document}
ABCD
\SOMECOMMAND{lamport94}
FGHI
\end{document}

The command should embed the actual reference between ABCD and FGHI, not at
the end, like

ABCD
[1] Leslie Lamport ....
FGHI