[Tugindia] fontbase.mp

CV Radhakrishnan cvr at river-valley.org
Sat Mar 12 05:42:18 CET 2005

On Sat, March 12, 2005 9:34 am, Duvvuri Venu Gopal said:

> On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 EKrishnan wrote :

>>On Thu, 10 Mar 2005, sankalp suryanarayana wrote:
>>
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I have been trying to compile a small latex file with dev package.
>> > The latex compilation is succesful but dvips complains saying it cant
>> > find file fontbase.mp , I used package dev and have files Udn.fd,
>> > dvng10.mf,dvng10.tfm and dev.sty in the same directory as the tex
>> file.
>>
>>That's not quite the way to do it. The .sty files, .mf files .tfm files
>>and so on must reside in  different places. I can give you the details if
>>you're using Linux. Can't help with a Windows installation.
>>
>>--
>>Krishnan
>
> Not much difference whether it is Windows or Linux. First understand the
> TDS, i.e., TeX Directory System. To understand where different types of
> files are kept in TeX see the tutorials prepared by TUG India (the scree
> version - probably Tutorial 2).

[...]

The setup described by Venu is the right one. However, what the original
poster has did will also work.  But the reported error  is very strange
and has nothing to do with the devnagari package. fontbase.mp is a set of
metapost macros. Indeed it is part of Metatype package, a tool for
creating Type 1 fonts using Maetapost.

I am curious to see a small example source document from the original
poster which generates the error.