[Tugindia] Search engine?

S. venkataraman svenkat at ignou.ac.in
Mon Jul 4 12:31:53 CEST 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: tugindia-bounces at tug.org [mailto:tugindia-bounces at tug.org] On
Behalf Of Sudarshan Iyengar
Sent: Monday, July 04, 2005 11:32 AM
To: TUGIndia Mailing List
Subject: [Tugindia] Search engine?

Dear Freinds,

As with the latex packages is there a search engine online which can
give me
all details about the package i need.

Say for example, If I want to write a theorem and a proof , and if i am
novice, I may use that search engine to type something like "writting
theorem proof in latex" and maybe that the search engine will suggest a
package name and details about the format i am to use.

Is there any such thing, Just like the question like help feature
available
in ms office xp?

Please let me know.

-Sudarshan.

Sorry, my earlier post was not to the point.
There is no such search engine for such basic things
 as far as I know. There is no alternative to reading
 the fine manual. My earlier post give some links where
the purpose of various packages are given. Tex FAQ also answers
some queries, but not something as basic as you have asked.
You need to read the tutorials and books on latex. One is
 the tug India tutorial.  There is also the Not so short introduction
 to latex. Search for lshort in the CTAN link(Complete Tex Archival
Network). Take a look at www.tug.org for some more. If you need a single

 book the book by Kopka and Daly, `A guide to Latex2e, Document
Preparation for beginners and Advanced users', is a good book.  If you
can buy two books,
you can buy Leslie Lamport's book on Latex and Latex Companion by
Mittelbach et al.
Regards,
Venkataraman