[Tugindia] Problem with dvips?

Kapil Hari Paranjape kapil at imsc.res.in
Tue Jan 11 03:52:36 CET 2005

Dear Sridhar,

On Tue, Jan 11, 2005 at 06:20:55AM +0530, Sridhar M.A. wrote:
> Today I faced/noticed a peculiar problem when generating a ps file
> using dvips. Before I go on my system details are as follows:
>
>  OS : Debian Sarge
>  TeX :  tetex 2.0.2
>  dvips(k) : 5.92b

This may not be enough info as it says nothing about what fonts you have
installed! But let me take a guess anyway...

> But today, I notice that dvips generates ps files which contain fonts
> not used by me or intended. But, pdflatex and dvipdfm generates
> the pdf files properly.

You need to provide the appropriate map file for dvips to pick up the
postscript Type 1 fonts. Clearly you have *an* appropriate map file as
pdftex and dvipdfm are picking up the fonts. Perhaps you need to install
"psfontmgr" and "defoma".

Also as far as I know Postscript can only handle Postscript fonts whereas
PDF can handle True Type fonts as well.

Hope this helps,

Kapil.