[Tugindia] counting TeX users

CV Radhakrishnan cvr at river-valley.org
Mon Feb 7 05:43:46 CET 2005

Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2005 12:32:54 -0500
From: Karl Berry <karl at tug.org>
To: lug-boards at ifi.uio.no
Cc: peter at silmaril.ie
Subject: LUG-boards: counting TeX users

Greetings all,

A question often asked is "how many TeX users are there", but there are
no (to my knowledge) hard numbers, only guesses.

At the Practical TeX 2004 conference in San Francisco, Peter Flynn
graciously volunteered to create a "TeX counter" form, so that people
can register themselves or their organizations as TeX users.

The counter is still in test mode (so the numbers are completely
fictitious).  Please try it out at:
  http://oimelc.ucc.ie/tex/counter/

If you fill out the form there, you'll be sent a link in email; if you
follow that link, you'll get a nice PDF certificate that Peter made up :).

Peter and I would love to (a) get your feedback on the form, from the
formatting to the certificate design to the questions asked, and
(b) get your ok to say that it's "endorsed" by the user groups.  I.e.,
we'll put other logos on the certificate, etc.  Ultimately, we'll move
it to tug.org.

So ... if interested, please send me and/or Peter to a "nice" (i.e.,
scalable, if at all possible) version to your logo, and we'll include it
one way or another.

Thanks!

Karl (TUG president)