[Tugindia] PDFs through hyperref

Kapil Hari Paranjape kapil at imsc.res.in
Mon Dec 5 06:38:44 CET 2005

On Sat, 03 Dec 2005, Abdullah Sowkaar wrote:
> I am using hyperref package to get a pdf with bookmarks, but in TOC of
> Front matter i need a link like when i click on the chapter entry it should
> open that particular pdf of the chapter. Which is like giving link in
> Acrobat by "Open File" option.
>
> Here what option should be used to get an external pdf through the front
> matter pdf? or any other suggestions on this, so that i should not go and
> make any change in pdf through Acrobat to get an external pdf file

This is a "well-known" problem with hyperref; it generates "file://"
URLs instead of a "relative" URL.

I got a mail from one of the current maintainers of hyperref
indicating that this bug will not be fixed in a hurry.

So here is a "hack".

1. Define a "BASE" url.

2. use the option "extension=xxx" (or some other three letter
   string that you prefer) to hyperref.

This does work. The only problem is that you must define the "BASE"
url of your document beforehand.

Regards,

Kapil.