[Tugindia] Drawing figures for latex documents

E. Krishnan ekmath at asianetindia.com
Sun Aug 21 04:14:40 CEST 2005

On Sat, 20 Aug 2005, David Owen wrote:

> I shall be happy if someone can tell me where to find software, free or
> cheap, which will allow me to draw figures consisting mainly of straight
> lines, arrows, parts of circles or other curves etc., to be used in
> Latex documents. Thanks, D.Owen

There are two different ways of using graphics in LaTeX: one is to draw
the pictures using some tool and then include them and then inserting them
in a LaTeX document using the "graphicx" package; hte other way is to
draw the pictures within the LaTeX document itself, either using the
(limited) native drawing capabilities of LaTeX itself or using PosTScript
via the "PSTricks" package.

If you choose the first option, then "gnuplot" and "xfig" are some of the
tools in a Linux system which can be used. For the second option,
please see the documentation of the PSTricks package. An online tutorial
is available at

  www.sarovar.org

--
Krishnan