[Tugindia] Suggestions requested

E. Krishnan ekmath at asianetindia.com
Thu Aug 4 09:13:24 CEST 2005

On Wed, 3 Aug 2005, mkalidoss wrote:

> I have appended a tex file below; this file is used
> to produce three lines of output.
> 1. In the first line I have used \cdot 3; is this correct?
>     Or should we use .3?

It is largely a matter of (local) mathematical convention. In USA, the
decimal point is mostly put on the baseline, as in 3.14, but in England it
is put in the middle as $3 \cdot 14$. In some other European countries
such as France, they use a comma instead of a dot as in 3,14. In our own
country, I think we ususally follow the US way.

> 2. In the second line, to give the limits to \lim, I have
>     used \limits after declaring \mathop{\lim}.  Is this
>     correct?

\lim is already defined as a mathoperator, so that you can give limits to
it directly. (See the modified code)

> 3. In the third line, LHS of the equation seems to be
>     OK, while on the RHS, the alignment of y_1 and y_2
>     is not suitable.

I think the whole code is slightly overdone. Please have a look at the
modified code below:

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{amsmath}

\begin{document}

\begin{equation*}
  M_R = \underset{R_{.4}}{%
    \begin{bmatrix}
      1 & 1\\
      0 & 0
    \end{bmatrix}}
  = \begin{matrix}
       x\\
     \end{matrix}
     \overset{%
       \begin{matrix}
         a & b\\
       \end{matrix}}{%
         \begin{bmatrix}
          .3 & .2\\
           0 & 1
        \end{bmatrix}}
\end{equation*}

\begin{equation*}
  \lim_{w\to\infty}(a^w+b^w)^{1/w} = \max(a,b).
\end{equation*}

\begin{equation*}
  \begin{matrix}
    x_1\\