[Tugindia] \left[ and \right]

Baburaj A. Puthenveettil apbabu at mecheng.iisc.ernet.in
Sat Nov 27 06:15:50 CET 2004

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> I don't know how amsmath solves the problem, but generally breaking the
> line between \left...\right is not allowed. What you can do is either

I havent used \vphantom. I regularly use multline for long equations

\uepackage{amsmath}
\begin{multline}
 \left[ \frac{\partial }{\partial }\right. \\ \left.\frac{\partial
}{\partial } \right]
\end{multline}

works fine

Ofcourse, I thought its understood that one has to use
\left[ blah blah  \right. \\ \left.  blah blah \right] when one wants to
enclose broken line between brackets.

--
Baburaj A Puthenveettil
Fluid Mechanics Lab,Mechanical Engineering,