[Tugindia] Using Sabon type face

Amitava Das Gupta amitav at vsnl.net
Thu Jul 1 05:48:58 CEST 2004

At 03:31 pm, you wrote:

>Message: 2
>Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 20:50:05 +0530 (IST)
>From: "CV Radhakrishnan" <cvr at river-valley.org>
>Subject: Re: [Tugindia] Using Sabon type face

>    Amitava> I am not very familiar with LaTeX, though I use it
>    Amitava> sometimes. I would like to know how to use a non-standard
>    Amitava> font in my work. Specifically, I would like to use the
>    Amitava> "Sabon" type face. I have put in the \usepackage{sabon}
>    Amitava> in the preamble, but the font does not appear in the dvi
>    Amitava> file, and while compiling, I get a "LaTeX Font Warning :
>    Amitava> Certain font shapes were not available, defaults
>    Amitava> substituted." I have asked all the people I know, who are
>    Amitava> using LaTeX, specifically MiKTeX, but no one seems to
>    Amitava> know anything about it.
>
>    Amitava> The sabon.sty file, and all the required .tfm and .vf
>    Amitava> files are there inside the \texmf tree. I am using
>    Amitava> Windows98. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you for your reply. However, since I am unfamiliar with LaTeX, I
would request you to further clarify your response,

>You have to
>
>* buy the sabon fonts from foundries like Adobe or Monotype

Does this mean that the .tfm and .vf files files that are already there are
of no use?

>* rename those fonts as per Karl Berry font naming scheme

I do not understand the term "Karl Berry font naming scheme". Could you
please point me to where I can get further information about it. Meanwhile,
I shall try to find out more about it myself.

>* add the renamed font files to $TEXMF/fonts/type1/sabon folder

This I can understand.

>* and update the TeX's file database

How does one update the TeX's file database?

>Radhakrishnan

As you may gather from the foregoing, I am a complete novice as far as
LaTeX is concerned, though, coming from a background in printing, I do have
some idea about type faces. However, I would like to know more about LaTeX,
as I intend to make more use of it in the future, and it is impossible to
do so without a clear understanding about the system.

Thank you again for your time and assistance.

Amitava Das Gupta
amitav at vsnl.net