[Tugindia] (no subject)

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec1 at email.si
Fri Jan 16 11:52:12 CET 2004

rkp at nerist.ernet.in wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Jan 2004, Renugopal M wrote:
>
> Dear Renu,
>
> Your converted pdf file may not look good in window machine but if you
> take the print out you will get a good quality print.

That's in a way true, but it is still awful to see such a PDF file
(expecially if the reader only wants to watch them).

If I remember correctly, the solution is to use
dvips -Ppdf file (or -Pwww instead of -Ppdf), but I cannot test it any
more since this problem suddenly disappeared here (I have no idea
whether a new version of Acrobat or a new version of TeX distribution
was responsible for that). I also had the same kind of problems.

>>Dear Members,
>>
>>I use Acrobat distiller to convert PDF from PS file.

There is also no special reason to do that (although I have no
experience with it, but it's a commercial tool). There's a "ps2pdf"
script in Linux and PostScript (which is free) can handle that task
under both linux and windows as well.
(Use "<gs path>\bin\gswin32" instead of "gs" under windows or simply run
GhostView and choose convert in menu.)

gs -dSAFER -dBATCH -dNOPAUSE -sDEVICE=pdfwrite \
    -sOutputFile=file.pdf file.ps
(may another set of possible arguments -sDEVICE=png16m/pngmono/
pnggray/jpeg/jpeggray/pdfwrite/epswrite ... together with some
additional settings like -dGraphicsAlphaBits=4 -r200 just give you an
idea of how it is possible to convert PS also into any other format)

Another possibilities of using
	pdflatex file
or
	dvipdfm file (dvipdf under linux)
instead of latex file, dvips file are also OK as long as there are no
PSTricks or any other PS specialities used in a document.

Best regards, Mojca