[Tugindia] RE: Ligatures

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Tue Feb 17 13:05:11 CET 2004

"Suresh A.L" <sureshal at sps.co.in> writes:

> but if it misses in the line breakings, and if it comes in the center or
> starting of line,
> the ligature character "fi" is missing, and I am getting two characters as
> "f" and "i",
> because of the "\-" in word (def\-inition). Similarly for "fl" also.
>
> I have tried with \hyphenation{def-inition, signif-icantly,...}, removing
> all "\-" in Ligature words.
> But, I have give hundred's of such words in the preamble every time.

If you want to hyphenate to rules completely foreign to everybody
else, you should roll your own hyphenation patterns.

Are you actually talking about English, and are the above actual
examples?  Ugh.

Other than that, it might already help if you selected British
instead of American hyphen patterns.

UKTUG FAQ: <URL:http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html>