[Tugindia] Re: tugindia Digest, Vol 20, Issue 10

A. Mani a_mani_sc_gs at vsnl.net
Thu Aug 12 20:15:49 CEST 2004

>Message: 2
>Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 11:23:12 +0530 (IST)
>From: "CV Radhakrishnan" <cvr at river-valley.org>
>Subject: [Tugindia] [OT] article on (open) scientific publishing

>    Ajit> the indian outsourced industry of scientific publishing will
>    Ajit> probably reach 500 million dollars soon, and is growing
>    Ajit> vigorously. but its growth depends on companies like
>    Ajit> elsevier, whose profit margins are hefty, and which enjoys a
>    Ajit> near monopoly worldwide. this monopoly is under threat, not
>    Ajit> just from regulators, but from the science community, who
>    Ajit> feel that access to research findings must be kept
>    Ajit> open. currently most research articles' copyright passes
>    Ajit> from author to elsevier, and access is restricted and very
>    Ajit> expensive. (some stats: annually 1.2m articles gets
>    Ajit> published in 16k periodicals. cornell university's library
>    Ajit> budget went up by 149 percent in 15 years, but number of
>    Ajit> periodicals went up by only 5 percent.)
>
>Thanks Ajit. You did the job, I was about to post the article to the
>list!
>
>I was curiously watching the developments relating to open access
>journal initiatives worldwide, primarily the initiatives of Public
>Library of Science and Berlin Declaration in which Elsevier too sent
>their delegates!  Nothing substantive happened except wild screams
>about open access.
>
>Two factors count much -- (1) the technologies of text processing, its
>various delivery formats and delivery systems (2) who will foot the
>bill?
>
>Unless the above two factors are answered satisfactorily, open access
>movements will not be able to compete with publishers like Elsevier.
>Needless to say that still more global experiments/initiatives are in
>the horizon, which will become reality very soon (of course with
>Indian participation) where the above two issues are addressed to a
>reasonable level.
>
>Best
>
>Radhakrishnan

>End of tugindia Digest, Vol 20, Issue 10

In India in particular publications have started becoming electronic
only during the last few years. It will be quite easy to make our open
repositories if we make them subject-specific. We can charge researchers
a small fee for the services too. There are absolutely no economic
problems...only a need for a little enterprise. Computer professionals
can and must (many reserchers do not care much about PCs or anything
related) also help.

best,
A. Mani
Member, Cal. Math. Soc.