[Tugindia] Sorting

Radhakrishnan CV cvr at river-valley.org
Tue Oct 7 09:05:35 CEST 2003

    Kapil> On Mon, Oct 06, 2003 at 11:09:45PM +0100, venu gopal wrote:

    Venu> Can u guide me How can we sort the names if we want to use
    Venu> it in Bibliography?

    Kapil> If you use BibTeX to generate the bibliography then this is
    Kapil> done automagically.

That can happen only when the author typesets his document, while this
is not applicable when typesetter does the job which is what, I guess,
happens in Venu's case.

    Kapil> Otherwise use "sort" which is available on all platforms
    Kapil> thanks to cygwin. ("man sort" is your friend).

One can deploy TeX to do the job as well, by carefully building a sort
key for each bib item and doing sorting based on the sort keys.  The
only impediment that one might encounter is that TeX offers only
primitives that allow to find two values equal or unequal, but less
than or equal or greater than is needed for sorting.  One need to
write a library to accomplish this, then the job is trivial.