[Tugindia] figures in two column

Kapil Hari Paranjape kapil at imsc.res.in
Wed Oct 1 10:17:09 CEST 2003

On Wed, Oct 01, 2003 at 12:59:44AM +0530, Baburaj A. Puthenveettil wrote:
<snip>
> I am able to acheive the two column alignment with three figures below
> each other in each column. But even though the whole figure environment
> takes only 3/4th page height tex always places it at the end of the
> document. How do I put this inside the document so that there can be text
> below the figure.

To make a FAQ answer.

1. The "figure" environment creates a "floating box". Using this
   environment tells TeX to place the box *wherever* it deems best.
   If this is not your intention then do *not* use the figure environment.

2. There is a "penalty" for floats to occupy greater than a certain
   percentage of the page. The reason is that if the figure occupies
   more than that percentage, there is a good chance that the reader
   will think that the text below the figure is "only" part of the
   caption. It is also considered "ugly". If you want you can change
   this penalty.

Read prior answers on this mailing list for details.

Regards,

Kapil.

--
People disagree with me.  I just ignore them.
	-- Linus Torvalds, regarding the use of C++ for the Linux kernel