[Tugindia] ["Rajkumar S" <raj@linuxense.com>] Sarovar.org

Radhakrishnan CV cvr at river-valley.org
Wed May 21 19:29:22 CEST 2003

Forwarded mail from: "Rajkumar S" <raj at linuxense.com>

Hi all,

We are happy to announce the release of Sarovar.org to the world!

Sarovar.org is a portal for hosting FLOSS project, similar to
sourceforge or Savannah. As far as we are aware it is India's first
and only site to offer such facilities. Sarovar.org has all the
features that you will expect from such a site, including web space,
mail lists, cvs etc.

The root of the idea to have such a site can be traced back to the
Indic computing meeting at Bangalore, where there was a desire to have
some hosting space for Indic computing projects. We had some
discussions about it back in Trivandrum and we thought we can make
such a space for developers in India for hosting their work. The
result is sarovar.org.

Sarovar.org is a Compaq machine running Debian Woody and a customized
gforge. It is hosted in Trivandrum and connected to BSNL, VSNL and
SingTel. All the traffic from it should come with out leaving
India. We are also planning to mirror some important sites right here,
including Linux kernel and mail lists. We are also open to other ideas
to use this resource. Please let me know if you have any.

Please feel free to pass this news to other lists or people who might
also be interested in such a facility.

With warm regards,

raj