[Tugindia] LaTeX workshops

amitabhtrehan at softhome.net amitabhtrehan at softhome.net
Tue Mar 11 23:19:14 CET 2003

Hi all,
kudoos to Dr. Ramadoss for a successful workshop and to Manjusha for working
really hard on the upcoming workshop in Pune. I have a few suggestions:
1. We could establish a sort of loose guideline for organising tugindia
assissted workshops, which can be a precursor for TUG certifications as some
have previously suggested.
2. My personal opinion is that GnuLinux be used as platform of instruction
for workshops (for various well-known reasons). The workshops will remain
open in the sense of not being platform dependent, which is actually easy,
since in itself LaTeX is not fixed to a particular platform. So, this is
similiar to the tutorials held at TUG Trivandrum.
3. Instead of circulating MikTeX Cds (as in Ramadoss's workshop) TeXLive Cds
should be distributed. TeXLive is a multi-platform distribution. Actaully,
the TeXLive7 CD distributed at TUG2002 was only gnulinux based to keep it in
single cd. TeXLive6 was  multi-platform in a single CD. I believe we can
customize the CDs to add additional packages as reqd. and keep it in one or
two cds. I have modified TeXLive6 CDs to incorporate the devnag package
which is by default outdated in the TeXLive CD, and it was not difficult. If
we distribute MiKTeX we dont give the users the option of using any other
platform except windows (If I am right).

Amitabh