[Tugindia] Changing default font size

Radhakrishnan CV cvr at river-valley.org
Sat Jun 14 10:44:28 CEST 2003

    Manoj>  --- "V. Sasi Kumar" <vsasi at vsnl.com> wrote:

    >> In a report I am preparing, I would like to change the default
    >> sizes of the chapter heading and also of the word Chapter that
    >> is automatically introduced before the chapter title. How can I
    >> do this?

    Manoj> In the standard LaTeX report class, the chapter heading is
    Manoj> typeset by the command \@makechapterhead. You have to
    Manoj> redefine that. The word `Chapter' is held in the macro
    Manoj> \@chapapp; therefore by redefining \@chapapp, you can
    Manoj> suppress the printing of `Chapter'.

I think, it is far more easier to say

 \let\chaptername\relax

in the premable are of the document which will suppress the string
'Chapter'.

Also there is a convenient way to redefine to something else if one
wants some other string in place of 'Chapter'. You might use the
following command:

 \def\chaptername{<your_string>}

Best.