[Tugindia] Aligning Tables

David Kastrup David.Kastrup at t-online.de
Thu Jun 12 10:55:30 CEST 2003

Ashis Kumar Mal <akmal at ece.iitkgp.ernet.in> writes:

> Dear List:
> I want to align the top of two tables like this.
>
> ----------------------             ---------------
>      Table-1          |		  |   Table-2     |
> ----------------------             ---------------
>                       |           |               |
>                       |           |               |
>                       |           |               |
>                       |            ---------------
> ----------------------
>
> I used following codes but not getting the desired output.
>
> \begin{table}[h]

Never do that.  The FAQ has something about float positioning
parameters.  If you don't want a table to float, don't use a floating
table.

> \begin{minipage}[t]{.7\linewidth}
> \begin{tabular}{|r|r|r|r||r|r|r|}

\begin{tabular}[t]{ ...

> I tried to change minipage alignment options [t] to [c], [b] without
> any effect.

The table is more or less one large line, so t and b are the same for
minipage.  Where this large line has its baseline is determined by
the position argument to tabular, however.

UKTUG FAQ: <URL:http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html>