[Tugindia] How to typeset in two columns keeping the title and abstract in single column format.

Radhakrishnan CV cvr at river-valley.org
Sun Jun 8 07:40:29 CEST 2003

>>>>> "indrajit" == indrajit  <indrajit at cal2.vsnl.net.in> writes:

    indrajit> Dear Friends, I like to typeset my paper in two columns
    indrajit> format keeping the title and the abstract in one column
    indrajit> format. This means that the two column format will start
    indrajit> just after the abstract i.e., from the first section of
    indrajit> the paper. For this I issue the command \twocolumn after
    indrajit> \end{abstract} but it produces the two column format
    indrajit> from 2nd page (starting with 1st section) leaving the
    indrajit> title page blank after the abstract. Kindly advise me in
    indrajit> this regard so that the two column format can start from
    indrajit> the title page just after the abstract. Thanking all

The easier way would be to load multicol package and invoke
multicolumns after abstract with the following command:

 \begin{multicols}{2}

Tweaking the default \twocolumn command would be a bit difficult. You
need to redefine \maketitle command to include abstract environment also
which means the default \twocolumn command can call the maketitle in
single column mode and start two column at the end of abstract without
breaking the page.

 \twocolumn[\@maketitle]

is the command in article.cls that does the job.

Best