[Tugindia] how to identify the page break without xdvi

Sandip P Deshmukh deshmukh at escortsmumbai.com
Fri Feb 21 16:33:11 CET 2003

On Fri, Feb 21, 2003 at 11:21:17AM +0100, David Kastrup wrote:
> Sandip P Deshmukh <deshmukh at escortsmumbai.com> writes:
>
> > On Thu, Feb 20, 2003 at 10:25:44AM +0100, David Kastrup wrote:
> > > Sandip P Deshmukh <deshmukh at escortsmumbai.com> writes:
> > >
> > this specific question arose becuase i wanted to make sure that the last
> > bullet or just two one line bullets do not go on the next page. this may
> > not be standard but that is how i wanted it.
>
> You must be aware what "\pagebreak" means: it means "no matter how bad
> it looks, you make the page break here.  Even if we had a break two
> lines before".  This is a bad idea since it entirely override's TeX
> mechanism for making a good decision for a page break.  The way to do
> it is to adjust TeX's mechanism for what it considers bad.  For
> example, the normal page layout parameters specify very little
> flexibility: pages should be filled, and TeX can manage mostly only by
> adjusting inter-paragraph space a bit, but only if you separate your
> paragraphs with adjustable space.  So it has little way of moving
> large amounts of material around.  If you want to tell it "I'd rather
> have my pages 4 lines short", you can.  \raggedbottom relaxes some of
> that, and if you take a look at how it is defined, you can increase
> the amount of material TeX is going to dare leave open at a page's
> end.

i was using \newpage. i think it does somethin similar to \pagebreak -
meaning, it breaks the page irrespctive of anything else. i think i need
to take a look at raggedbottom. you are really introducing me to power i
have never experienced earlier! just what did you mean when you said if
you separate your paragraphs with adjustable space? i use \parindent in
the preamble and i use \bigskip, \smallskip etc between two paragraphs.
And the correct choice is something like this:

rather than having two one line bullet points on the next page, i would
prefer to have this page upto four lines short.

> Then never say \pagebreak to suggest things, but the weaker
> \pagebreak[1] to \pagebreak[3].  The default \pagebreak will break a
> page even if TeX knows the break to be terrible (such as when just a
> single line is on the page).

will take a look at this, too. several useful pointers - i must say and
thanx a lot for all

> > well, most of my input is plain english text - may be tabulated and
> > bulleted or numbered. etc. but i have read praises on auctex.
>
> AUCTeX makes the usual compile, find errors, preview, recompile cycle
> easier, and it indents and wraps your text according to structure
> while you enter it.  There is also some package called "auctex" for
> vim, I believe, which sports this name because it supposedly provides
> something similar, and there is also a latex-suite or so for vim.  I
> have not tried those myself, so I can't judge their utility.

yes. i took a look at auctex for vim as well as vim-latex. both of them
are useful for real work. however, my use currently is so rudimentary
that i need not worry about these sophisticated tools. i use imaps.vim
instead. much simpler to use and just insters tags. may be as i begin to
use latex more, i would shift to either of vim packages or ;) emacs :)

--
regards,
sandip p deshmukh