[Tugindia] [OT] Graphics tutorial: Replacing AutoCAD

H S Rai hsraidce at iitr.ernet.in
Fri Feb 21 12:34:15 CET 2003

Yesterday at 10:14pm -0800 Amitabh Trehan wrote:

>   Is  this serious?a  friend of  mine is  desperately searching  for
>   industrial packages on  GNU/Linux to replace AutoCAD  / Pro/E (for
>   3d) ,  mainly for  3D industrial  work, else he  may be  forced to
>   stick to gatesware.

IMO, it  is possible and  my observation was  based on Ist  chapter of
tutorial. May be author of tutorial or other user if "pstricks" may be
more suitable to support or counter my observation.

AFAIK,   Qcad  can   fulfill  requirement   of  AutoCAD   Light,  i.e.
2-Dimentional  drawings. VariCAD   is  mechanical   drawing  oriented.
LinuxCAD is  considered as good  alternative of autoCAD. Last  two are
not free softwares. But much cheaper than its M$ counterpart.

xFig is also good for 2D drawings.

Varkon is good as 3-D modeler.

For good  architectural modeling  and drawing, I  guess OCTREE  may be
good choice. It has next generation GUI,  so need to go through README
and tutoral/ help to start working.

http://www.collabcad.com/ offer currently demo  version, but later may
be a low cost package:

 CollabCAD is a Java based  distributed 2D&3D CAD/CAM and CAE software
system being developed by the  Computer Aided Design Group of National
Informatics Centre, the IT Support professionals from India.

This all depends upon what one needs.

--
H.S.Rai

He who laughs last probably has a back up.