[Tugindia] three questions on tables

Sandip P Deshmukh deshmukh at escortsmumbai.com
Fri Feb 21 11:30:20 CET 2003

On Thu, Feb 20, 2003 at 10:30:09AM +0100, David Kastrup wrote:
> Sandip P Deshmukh <deshmukh at escortsmumbai.com> writes:
>
> > firstly, how do i make a table go beyond a page? my work often demands
> > me to make tables longer than a page. i have googled but could not find
> > a solution.
>
> Then you have not googled very well.  The standard package
> "longtable" provides this functionality.

well, i did google. probably didnt ask the right questions. as a matter
of practice, i google before i ask. :)

> > secondly, i have never been able to use multicolumn. i have used
> > following syntax:
> > \begin{tabular}{ll}
> > \multicolumn{2}{l}{some text here}&\\
> > \multicolumn{2}{l}{some text here}\\
> > \end{tabular}
> >
> > none of these work.
>
> What do you mean with "none of these work"?  What do you expect them
> to do?  The first, of course, will cause problems since you start
> with a multicolumn over 2 columns, then require _another_,
> none-existing third column.  The second one should work just fine as
> documented.  So what do you think it should do instead?

well, sorry i did not express the problem properly. if i have the
following:

\begin{tabular}{|l|l|}
\multicolumn{2}{l}{some text}\\
some&text\\
\end{tabular}

there is a verticle bar in second row but not in the first. here is how
it looks:
some text
| some | text|

so, is multicolumn making the verticle bars disappear?

> > what is the correct format for multicolumn?
>
> If you have "info latex" available (which only documents core LaTeX),
> at least _that_ information should have been apparent.

oh sure, i have info latex with me. since i am new, i always have it
open in one of the screens when i am using latex.

> > lastly, when i use p type columns, can i not determine the alignment?
> > for instance:
> >
> > \begin{tabular}{p{2in}p{4in}}
> > some text&Some text\\
> > \end{tabular}
> >
> > can i not get some text to be left aligned and Some text to be center
> > aligned?
>
> You can, by using the standard package array.sty as outlined in its
> documentation.

thanx for this help. i will go throught the documentation,

--
regards,
sandip p deshmukh