[Tugindia] how to identify the page break without xdvi

Kapil Hari Paranjape kapil at imsc.res.in
Thu Feb 20 14:27:40 CET 2003

Dear Sandip,

> i am new to tex and amazed by its power.

So am I!

> i use console based vim to prepare my .tex files. then do latex filename
> and finally use xdvi to view it on screen.
>
> now, i often have to use xdvi only to get the pagination right. shift a
> bulleted list to the new page, etc.

Already an expert --- eh!?

> is not there a way by which i would be able to identify the page breaks
> in the tex file without going to xdvi? this will save me a lot of time.

Absolutely.

1. You can use "catdvi" to convert the dvi file to text and this will
   show you the page breaks.

2. You can make TeX insert "\special"'s at every word(!) or every line
   and this way get the relevant info even from "dvitype".

I haven't actually used (2) but I did use (1) when I was stuck with a
"text" only terminal and couldn't view the output at all (except via
destruction of rain-forests).

Kapil.

--
God doesn't play dice.