[Tugindia] so many style files

Radhakrishnan CV cvr at river-valley.org
Fri Dec 19 14:19:29 CET 2003

    Manjusha> Hi all, I have a question.  Which one is better : 1. Use
    Manjusha> so many style files.  2. Use limited style files and
    Manjusha> obtained the effect.

    Manjusha> e.g one can use url style file just to change style for
    Manjusha> url in text doc.s but we can achive same effect just by
    Manjusha> \verb| name of the url|

Changing the URL to \ttfamily is not the only purpose of url.sty. It
can also break a lengthy URL if if occurs at line end, which is a
non-trivial job to do automatically. Also you can change the size, and
family of font used for URL's. If you can write a macro that can do
all the above, surely using url.sty is a overkill.

Generally, people are vary of writing a macro, so they depend upon
readily available packages.

    Manjusha> I always have a feeling that we are just using style
    Manjusha> files, as they are there.

    Manjusha> Is there any hidden part of adding style file in the
    Manjusha> document?

The packages can be included while generating your latex.fmt which
means all those packages are always available by default without
of your document loosing portability.

Alternatively, you might write a custom package where you can load all
the frequently used packages with the command:

  \RequirePackage[<options>]{<package name>}

and use this package always, which would save you a lot of keying
every time you create a document.

    Manjusha> Am I missing some advantages of the style files?

You will, if you hate to read the documentation of the package.

    Manjusha> Should we always think any tex document as it can be
    Manjusha> converted to xml document and for that .sty file
    Manjusha> provides any structural advantages?

Yes and No. This largely depend on the methodology of your
translation.

Best