[Tugindia] devnag font

Radhakrishnan CV cvr at river-valley.org
Mon Apr 14 14:58:35 CEST 2003

    DVG> Hello It appears nobody replied to this mail. So I gathered
    DVG> strength to reply. I am also a novice, so if I am wrong
    DVG> please correct me.

    DVG> In general LaTeX you must have observed though there are no
    DVG> *25.mf files we get characters of 25 pt or higher (like
    DVG> Headings etc.). It is obtained by running mf ... magstep
    DVG> ... *12.mf. For full details you can see the Introduction to
    DVG> MetaFont - a pdf file on the web.

    DVG> I think another method may be open the dvng10.mf file there
    DVG> will be a command fontsize - change it to desired size and
    DVG> save it as dvng(changed size).mf and then run mf on it.

An elegant way might be to generate type1 devnag fonts from metafont
sources using 'textrace' which is available at CTAN.  I have tried
textrace on dvng10.mf and generated decent type1 version of the font,
which means we can scale the font to any extent. The additional
advantage is that the PDF docs created with type1 version looks much
better and cleaner than the metafont version.