[Tuglist] Trainer

Ajit Ranade tuglist@tug.org.in
Mon, 23 Sep 2002 08:29:39 +0530 (IST)

On Sat, 21 Sep 2002, H.S.Rai wrote:

> A number  of companies  (like NIIT  and many more)  who has  very good
> network through out  India and they have even reached  to small towns.
> Though some  time such companies  exploit innocent students,  but they
> can reach wide audience and with their advertising and marketing skill
> they can mass produce (quality, no comment) human resources trained in
> any software  related field (for  example in  past they did  for Java,
> C++, Oracle etc).

niit will train students in TeX if they perceive a big enough demand for
TeX trained people. most demand in india is coming from publishers/vendors
to publishers. this group seems to prefer training their TeX staff in
house. so we miss out on a spillover effect outside these companies into
the general pool. it is here that some facilitation or sponsorship is
required. the fact that kerala govt is sponsoring TeX related effort is
very promising indeed. perhaps other state govts or their agencies can
also be pursuaded along similar lines. or perhaps the ministry of I.T. at
the centre can give a grant to tugindia for starting TeX training efforts.

> Other possibility may  be to involve other societies (like  I can give
> examples from engineering and  technical education field. These may be
> Indian society for technical education, Institution of Engineers) from
> different areas  which have already  offices and man-power  state wise
> (in the  form of state  chapters and  student chapters) and  they have
> fund for seminars and conferences.

yes tieing up with ieee or similar outfits would be quite beneficial if
that's possible.

-akr