[Tuglist] Tug2002: Hangover?

Tirthankar C. Patnaik tuglist@tug.org.in
Thu, 19 Sep 2002 13:55:40 +0530 (IST)

Dear Mr. Rai,

> Dr. Murugesh Kalidoss must be congratulated on being the only delegate
> from  academia. But  the moot  point  here  may  be why  the  academic
> personalities which happen  to be a part of  organizing committee fail
> to bring their  colleagues and students. Are they able  to promote TeX
> in their respective places?

Not exactly the only one. Dr. Ranade, about whom you have referred to in
the next para, is very much a part of academia. He took doctoral courses in
microeconomics for us at IGIDR, not very long ago. He is still associated
with our institute.  And he was a good teacher!

> >    We had an unexpected participant  from the banking industry, Ajit
> >    Ranade (Chief Economist ABN AMRO  Bank) who delivered the keynote
> >    address, "the  status of TeX  in India" which he  did wonderfully
> >    well.
>
> Salute to Ajit Ranade.

You bet. Amen.

best,

-tir

--
 Tirthankar, IGIDR.
 +91-22-8400919 x275 (r), x593(o), x542(CFL).

  VOTE, n.  The instrument and symbol of a freeman's power to make a
  fool of himself and a wreck of his country.

  W (double U) has, of all the letters in our alphabet, the only
  cumbrous name, the names of the others being monosyllabic.  This
  advantage of the Roman alphabet over the Grecian is the more valued
  after audibly spelling out some simple Greek word, like
  _epixoriambikos_.  Still, it is now thought by the learned that other
  agencies than the difference of the two alphabets may have been
  concerned in the decline of "the glory that was Greece" and the rise
  of "the grandeur that was Rome."  There can be no doubt, however, that
  by simplifying the name of W (calling it "wow," for example) our
  civilization could be, if not promoted, at least better endured.