[Tuglist] Membership of TUG India.

S. venkataraman tuglist@tug.org.in
Wed, 18 Sep 2002 16:00:31 +0530

Hi!
1) How can one become a member of TUG India?  The website says that work

   is in progress. Anything to announce?
2) This question cannot be new.  Is it possible to type tamil( or any
   other  indian language)directly the way we type english? The commands
could be in
   english, but one should be able to latex the file without a
preprocessor.
   The problem with packages that use transliteration is that it is a
very
    ineffecient procedure. Suppose we use a text editor that can be used
to   	type in  english and tamil.  We can type the commands in english
but
       can use  font changing command to switch to other languages.  I
saw the omega tex home page and this seems to support this sort of a
thing.
Are there editors available? How hard is this to accomplish in omega
tex?
For example will the metafont files of the usual tex be of any use in
creating fonts for omega tex? I saw that omega tex is one of the topics
discussed in tugindia. I would like to get some information about this.
I hope this will be possible if I become a member.
S. Venkataraman.