[Tugindia] Lecture on POVRay

Radhakrishnan CV tugindia@tug.org
30 Oct 2002 23:27:37 +0530

    Rai> Today at 6:34pm +0530 Radhakrishnan CV wrote:
    >> > manjusha joshi writes:
    >>
    >> > knowing it before. Where can I get more info about, how to >
    >> include .pov file in tex file?  I need it.  So we can add this
    >> > part to lecture also, if speaker permits.
    >>
    >> If you tweak a little the package pdftricks.sty, you can easily
    >> use pov code in LaTeX documents. It is trivial.

    Rai> Things are trivial only when achieved or solved. A little
    Rai> more hint or link may prove "kickstart" to many.

Grab the pdftricks.sty from CTAN. pdftricks is meant to include
PSTricks code in a pdf document. What it does is, the pstricks code
is written to a standalone LaTeX document, escapes to shell, compiles
the standalone LaTeX document by calling LaTeX, calls dvips to convert
the resulting dvi to eps, calls epstopdf to translate the eps to PDF
and returns to pdfLaTeX run, then includes the PDF graphics while
exiting from end of the environment in which PSTricks code are
included. For non-shell escape pdfTeX compilers, a script viz.,
pst2pdf is also provided to automate the process.

PSTricks document of the TUGIndia tutorial is generated this way.

You only need to tweak in such a way, so that instead of writing LaTeX
document, you should write to a POVray source file, call povray to
compile the document, probably, you might need to call 'convert' too
to translate to jpg or whatever accepted by pdfTeX. Here the job is
much less compared to pstricks operation. Is it not trivial?

Could you patch up pstricks.sty to include this process as an option
to pdftricks.sty?  I'm only happy to include you as the co-author of
pdftricks.sty.