[Tugindia] TeX learning

Dileep Padinjarae Vengasseri tugindia@tug.org
Wed, 30 Oct 2002 12:09:18 +0000 (GMT)

Hello,

> > > LaTeX is perhaps the only software used by
> foreign journals and book publishers.

I also wish if it were like that for everyone.
But now it is not always true. Many journals in
Chemistry (especially in the areas that involve less
mathematics) do not accept Tex documents at present. I
had written to the editors of some of the journals
asking why are they reluctant to take the TeX
documents. Though many of them agree upon the quality
of the TeX documents, they feel that it is not very
much suitable for "their" journals. It seems their
whole publishing group is based on "more popular type
setting programs"! But I have seen a positive change
in the general attitude. Now many of them atleast take
the pdf file that is generated in LaTex for reviewing;
but ask for word files during the final stages.

> I feel TUG should do
> something in this regard. Atleast there should be an
option where one is free to submit papers in TeX

I  also feel this is an important issue. Whoever has
used "MS word" once know how "user-unfriendly" that
"popular" software is. But since there are no other
options, people are forced to use that. Unless until
the publishers are willing to accept the TeX
documents, only individual efforts will be there
towards typesetting LaTeX from those fields that
require minimal mathematics.

All other problems (like excessive use of windows
machines and programs) are of secondary nature here.
Being a LaTeX user from a "non-mathematical"
community, I feel that one should not be denied to
submit the documents in any format he/she wish to do.
It will be very nice if TUG can do something in this
regard.

Thanking you,

With best regards,

Dileep