[Tugindia] Regional chapters [was] Meeting ... TUGIndia Delhi

Radhakrishnan CV tugindia@tug.org
21 Oct 2002 15:31:45 +0530

    HSR> CVR:

    HSR> Is it possible to register TUGIndia as society on national
    HSR> level, so that regional and city chapters need not to thing
    HSR> about registration.

As far as I understand, charitable, scientific society comes under
state list and not under concurrent list. As such, we need to register
each chapter as per the laws of the state where it is constituted.
That doesn't harm anyone.

The other option would be to register TUGIndia as a non-profit company
as section 25 of the companies act which will have national
jurisdiction.  It is a non-trivial task, do we need to undertake this
is the question.  After all, it is not the form or structure, but what
we really do for the community that counts much.  However, everything
do as an organization should be legal and should be within the scope
and limits provided by the law of the land.

    HSR> All:

    HSR> I believe Delhi chapter may expand itself to call it
    HSR> "Regional chapter: North" of TUGIndia under which Delhi
    HSR> chapter remain and few more come in due course of
    HSR> time. Likewise I believe we may have South, East, West and
    HSR> Central chapter and at least equal number of city chapter
    HSR> very soon.

Sounds fine for me.