[Tugindia] Development council/ Wish list

Radhakrishnan CV tugindia@tug.org
17 Oct 2002 12:24:06 +0530

    HSR> Today at 11:58am +0530 Radhakrishnan CV wrote:

[...]

    HSR> I am ready.

Thank you, Rai.

    HSR> Persons, other than those whose name is included in list,
    HSR> willing to work for development are also requested to express
    HSR> their willingness.

Sure.

    HSR> How to proceed. Do these person have a separate mailing list,
    HSR> where they can interact without interfering too much on
    HSR> TUGIndia with development and related issues? Can sourceforge
    HSR> be useful. We need to know what is the skill set of persons
    HSR> involved and what he want to do?

Yes, I've been talking to Linuxense Information Systems, Trivandrum (a
software company that provide high end software solutions based on
free/open technologies) who have offered to provide sorceforge like
development environment for TeX, GNU/Linux development! It might take
a month for them to setup the system in their servers which is not
trivial anyway. I'm waiting for them now.

    HSR> To start with we may prepare a "Wish List". List members may
    HSR> be requested to express their wihses, what they want more
    HSR> from TeX/ LaTeX. Chances are that there may some package
    HSR> already to fulfill one's wish. Getting that information, on
    HSR> compiling it may be a good source of information. And from
    HSR> unfulfilled list of wishes, new development project may be
    HSR> started.

That is a good idea. People can either post their wish list to the
list or to Rai directly. By that time, we will get development setup
ready from Linuxense.

I will talk to Kaja Christiansen for an additional mailing list for
development team to interact so that the root list is spared.

I dont know whether you are aware of the TeX Development Fund now
constituted by TUG. TUG supports viable projects with financial
assistance upto USD 2000 for a period of one year (which is
extendable), we might try to get funding for our projects.  Please
see:

 http://www.tug.org/tc/devfund/