[Tugindia] POVRay: AutoCAD like?

H S Rai tugindia@tug.org
Sun, 13 Oct 2002 22:39:33 +0530 (IST)

A few days back CVR wrote:

>  ...  enlighten users  with newer  technologies like  integration of
>  Povray into TeX.

I must thank CVR to introduce politely POVRay to subscribers. A lot of
good  softwares  are available,  but  problem  is  how to  find  right
one. Mostly we  limit our choice what  is available around us,  and we
fail to do proper survey even in this era of information technology.

As I could  undersatnd, POVRay is wonderful software  to create scenes
and  even  animation. Can we  use  this  as an  "Engineering  Drawing"
package such as AutoCAD. As most of engineers (Civil, Mechanical) need
such package to produce orthogonal projection (Elevations, Plans) with
dimensions, where rendering is not required.  Now my question is as:

Can we  use POVRay for  this purpose? If  not, can anyone  suggest any
other software available to fullfil such requirement.

I  could not  find feature  equivalent to  "pline" of  AutoCAD in  any
drafting packages (free/opensource) tried by  me on Linux so far. With
"pline" you  can draw  a combination  of line segments  and arcs  in a
variety  of way,  with different  line  width and  also variable  line
width.

--
H.S.Rai

Q:      How did you get into artificial intelligence?
A:      Seemed logical -- I didn't have any real intelligence.